Saturday, March 5, 2011

Star Wars Banana Bread (Mos Eisley Morsels)

So my friend Meagan (Mmm Pie!) gave me a Star Wars Cook Book. [and my other friend Megan (vegan whore) sent me the Admiral Ackbar]

Needless to say. As awesome as it is, none of the recipes were vegan. They all had really funny names like Wookiee cookies, yoda soda, and hoth chocolate... Just to name a few.

Well, I decided to go ahead and make some of the recipes vegan and post them on here.

The recipe really weirds me out to tell you the truth. It doesn't call for any sugar or "butter". So, trying to keep as true to the recipe as possible.

My review: Basically, If I were to re-do this recipe. I would add brown sugar and possibly margarine. It definitly needed more something. When I added the mashed banana on top I sprinkled it with a little cinnamon sugar and it was better/less dry/sweeter. It's not horrible though.

UPDATE: after bringing some leftovers to work to share my co-worker Meagan (same one who gave me the cookbook) said they taste more like muffins and I tend to agree. For a muffin it isn't that bad.

Here it is:


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups -- all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons -- baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon -- baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons -- ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon -- ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon -- ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon -- salt
  • 3 -- large bananas
  • 1 -- Cornstarch Egg Replacement*
  • 2 tablespoons -- vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons -- vanilla
*For cornstarch egg replacement  whisk 2 TBSP Cold Water with 2 TBSP Cornstarch.

STEP 1:

Preheat oven to 375°F

Lightly grease 8x8 inch square baking dish.

Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.




STEP 2:

In another large bowl thoroughly mash bananas.

Add premixed cornstarch egg replacement, vegetable oil, and vanilla and stir until well blended.






STEP 3:

With a rubber spatula slowly begin to mix the dry ingredient with the wet ones.

Stir until well mixed.







STEP 4:

Pour batter into baking dish.

Spread until even and bake for 30-35 mins.









STEP 5:


When fully baked, a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center.


Now just Cool, Cut into squares. Enjoy.





STEP 6:

(Optional) You can mash up another banana & spread on squares just before eating.









-Jordan Halliday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...