Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rice and Bean Taquitos

First I apologize I don't have a more epic picture. But my co-workers (not even vegan) devoured these things.

My Co-Worker (Mmm Pie!) and I had to work a late graveyard inventory shift (more like a 12 hour shift but...no one asked, lol). We were able to convince our boss to allow us to dip in to the work party fund for snacks... not just snacks... VEGAN FOOD!

We decided to make vegan taquitos after seeing our other friend (thesnarkychickpea) post them on her blog.

Only we twisted up the recipe a bit..

These are so delicious.

Be warned.

Also, I didn't get great pictures because I didn't make these at my house and we were kinda rushing to make them. I apologize this won't be like my typical posts.

Original Recipe Here

INGREDIENTS:
  • 15 -- flour tortillas (6 inch)
  • 6 oz -- Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
  • 5 oz -- vegan cheddar shredded (we used Follow Your Heart)
  • 5 oz -- vegan mozzarella shredded (we used Daiya)
  • 1 box -- vegan mexican rice
  • 1 can -- black beans
  • 1/2 -- large onion, diced
  • 3/4 -- red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon -- garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon -- olive oil, along with a little olive oil cooking spray
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp -- red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup -- salsa verde
  • 1 Tablespoon -- Braggs Liquid Aminos or Soysauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon -- cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon -- chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon -- cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon -- garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon -- onion powder
  • pepper

STEPS:
  1. Preheat oven to 375° F
  2. Start making boxed rice using instructions.
  3. Heat a oil over large nonstick skillet at medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. Saute for about 4-5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and mix.
  4. In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, cheese, salsa verde, spices. Use a potato masher to combine all of the ingredients. Set aside.
  5. Add black beans and cooked rice to the pan. mix around.
  6. Add the onion mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
  7. Nuke the tortilla in the microwave or over the stove for a few seconds until they are able to bend without breaking.
  8. Spoon the mixture onto each tortilla and roll it. Use the sauce help the tortilla stay together when cooking.
  9. Lightly spray the tops of the rolled taquitos with the olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
  10. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until brown and gooey goodness is probably coming out.
  11. ENJOY!


THANKS SO MUCH TO MEAGAN (THESNARKYCHICKPEA) FOR THE BASIS OF THIS RECIPE!

3 comments:

  1. These look SO good! I'm definitely going to try this.
    I actually just stumbled upon your blog looking at other bloggers who follow Amanda Eats. (I know it sounds creepy, but I want to follow more Salt Lake vegan bloggers.) But it gets creepier, I just wrote a post about you regarding the injustice of your case with the grand jury and FBI scare tactics. Feel free to check out my blog if you'd like, and I hope you are doing well considering the fuckery you had to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I so want to try these with some rice inside. What a great idea! And you're welcome for the recipe :)
    Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lyssy thanks. No worries I'm not creeped out. I'd love to see your pos, but I couldn't find it on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...